Saturday, May 22, 2010

Finishing The Quilt

Hello Everyone,
Well, my Quilt, "Ode to Fish With Lips" is in my Longarm. My friend Jim wants me to sit at it until it is finished.
When he said something to me about it not being finished, I had to give some thought to my answer. Why wasn't it finished?
The answer is complicated, but my first answer is "Fear".
I've spent literally years working on this particular piece, not daily of course, but months at the time or weeks. Lots of sitting up late into the night or rising from a sound sleep at 1:30 a.m. to work on the hundreds of small and intricate details, one of the ferns took me two months just to cut out. One of the Corals took three days just to lay out after I had spent days 'fussy cutting' it out.
So, for me to rush in and sew with the intent of just finishing is very hard for me. I guess I just love to stand over it and worry, but starting that needle to move is scary business to me. With every stitch I worry that I'm ruining it.
Today, after a lot of thought, I started in earnest working on the background. Since it is an underwater scene, I'm doing a lot of wavy water stitches plus going over my sea grasses - adding stitches to add to their drama.
Naturally, this means a lot of thread changes so one of my favorite sayings is 'It just takes time.'
I've finished about ten inches and I like what I see.
I also did some touching up on one Fish. He needed a little more color so I've dosed him with colorful threads to really make him pretty. And , of course, he is.
Must run, EC is home for supper and my fish are calling me.
We'll talk later about this,
Carol Ann, Quilter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sending me your link Carol Ann, I can't wait to see your progress on the Fish Lips quilt!

I'm amazed at the intricacy of your quilts. I'm afraid I'm more of an instant gratification girl when it comes to my own quilts, I go for big easy blocks! LOL