Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Quilter In Me

I've been to Houston. I left here Monday morning, 4:15 a.m. and headed to one of my favorite spots. I like Houston. And, for many reasons.
Houston is the 4th largest U.S. City, behind NY, Chicago, and LA. So, besides express ways, large mega Airportropolis', and lots of traffic, there are wonderful things to see and do there that can't be found any where else. And, lots of wonderful foods in restaurants and in fabulous speciality stores. (Rice Epicurean, Whole Foods, Central Market, to name a few of my favorites)
And they are all close to my friend Crayola's house in downtown Houston.
The main reason I like to visit Houston, (and the heat down there has nothing to do with it) is the International Quilt Festival that is held there every Fall.
Also, Quilt, Inc. is located there. If you've ever entered a Quilt into the International Quilt Festival Show, you had to send it to Quilt, Inc.
I visited their offices on this past Monday afternoon. Ann greeted Crayola and I when we walked into the beautiful 'cut glass' Front Doors. She was very nice. She asked if we would like to tour their office's. Well, of course. To the right of Ann's desk were shelves that went all the way to the ceiling and Quilts were folded and stacked neatly on each shelf. Beautiful Quilts were hung on every wall. Quilt, Inc. has a wonderful collection of antique white Quilts. There are touches of red and green on each one. (I'm sure there is a name for this type of Quilt, but I don't know it.)
Also, each office and conference room had Quilts hanging on almost every wall. They were all wonderful.
The reason I was there was because the Monday night before, the 11th of May, Margarete Heinisch and her Husband, Helmut, had visited in my home, after our Guild meeting. She encouraged me to enter one of my Quilts in the show.
After we had looked on the internet, we discovered that the deadline was Monday, the 18th, exactly one week away. The Quilt wasn't even bound. I may be the slowest binder in the world, it takes me three full days to put a binding on.
Anyway, Margarete told me that I could do it, if I got in gear and got busy. Well, Tuesday morning, I called George Chambers, the photographer we Quilters use, and made an appointment for Friday, the 15th, at 12:30 p.m.
Then, EC and I began the search for the perfect fabric for the binding. EC won! He picked out the greatest Alexander Henry Fabric in my Stash. It was perfect. Then all the cutting, sewing, pressing and attaching. Also, the hanging sleeve has to be attached as the binding goes on. So, that had to be made, too.
I got the binding on and the sleeve, but the time consuming part, the hand stitching that must be done to attach it to the back. And that's where the time comes in. Mercy, it does take a while!
Must run, EC wants to take me shopping. Never turn down a man when he wants to take you out to spend money!
We'll finish this story later,
CAW, Quilter

1 comment:

fiberdoodles said...

Oh Carol Ann I am so excited to hear you are going to enter a quilt and even more excited to see you are back online - Wahoo! I will follow right along.

See you soon,